Friday, October 26, 2012

Italian meat sauce with pasta

So, this recipe is not an original like the last one.  I got this one from a friend from Columbia who was studying abroad in France.  She is a big fan of Italian food (especially pasta) and she made this for me the first time I went to her apartment.  I adored it and we made it together several more times that semester.  Whenever I make it I think of her. 

This recipe is dairy free and can be gluten free if you use gluten-free pasta.

Here's what you'll need:
1/2 box spaghetti
3 slices of large sweet onion
1 small package (about 1.25-1.5lbs) of ground beef
1 jar tomato sauce (like Prego)
1 tsp Maggi sauce
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp sugar
Garlic powder (at least 1 tbsp)
Salt
Pepper

I cook for 4-5 people, so this makes 4-5 servings. 

To start off, chop up the onion and put it into a saucepan on medium heat (or a little hotter if you like your meat caramelized).  Then, once the pan is hot, add the ground beef, break it into smaller pieces, and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. 



You don't need to add any oil because the ground beef will release enough fat to keep the onion from burning.  Continue to break the meat into smaller and smaller pieces so that it will cook faster.

As the meat is cooking, start the pasta.  Cook according to the instructions on the box.  However, I would advise that you always check the pasta to make sure it is cooked to your liking before taking it off the heat and draining it. 

Once the meat is cooked through, add the tomato sauce and the Maggi sauce and stir thoroughly.  The Maggi sauce is very important.  It's kind of like soy sauce only without soy.  It is very hard to find, but it is important to the flavors in this dish.  I only use it in two recipes, but I feel that it is very important to both of them.  I've never tried substituting actual soy sauce - try at your own risk. 


Now add in all other ingredients to the sauce.  The amounts above are guidelines - I've never actually measured the amounts, so you can vary them to suit your taste.  I love adding a lot of garlic powder, but I'm a huge garlic fan.  And yes, add the sugar.  It makes a huge difference.  Also, don't go light on the salt in this dish, especially if you skip the Maggi sauce.  It naturally has almost no salt, so adding some to the sauce improves the flavor.  After combining everything, stir it and let it simmer for a few minutes.  You don't need to cover it, but it's fine if you do. 


Your pasta should be done by now, so put some pasta on a plate, cover it in sauce, and go ahead and eat!  I serve this coated in Parmesan cheese with garlic bread and maybe a small salad on the side.  If you like it, thank Laura. 

No comments:

Post a Comment